Thursday, January 17, 2013

On grieving ...

 4/14/13  From a post on a friends facebook page today: 
"It's sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew"
~Henry Rollins~

Especially family :(
 
 "I hear ya on that...family I can lose, they eventually come back...but my best friend...that was very hard to deal with....I never got over it."

3/13/13
This is a Deep and Profound message ...
Let's focus on being Alive ... and cherish all the little things...
And all that we take for granted ... ♥ 


3/12/13 Two quotes on grief:

“Grief can destroy you --or focus you. You can decide a relationship was all for nothing if it had to end in death, and you alone. OR you can realize that every moment of it had more meaning than you dared to recognize at the time, so much meaning it scared you, so you just lived, just took for granted the love and laughter of each day, and didn't allow yourself to consider the sacredness of it. But when it's over and you're alone, you begin to see that it wasn't just a movie and a dinner together, not just watching sunsets together, not just scrubbing a floor or washing dishes together or worrying over a high electric bill. It was everything, it was the why of life, every event and precious moment of it. The answer to the mystery of existence is the love you shared sometimes so imperfectly, and when the loss wakes you to the deeper beauty of it, to the sanctity of it, you can't get off your knees for a long time, you're driven to your knees not by the weight of the loss but by gratitude for what preceded the loss. And the ache is always there, but one day not the emptiness, because to nurture the emptiness, to take solace in it, is to disrespect the gift of life.”
― Dean Koontz, Odd Hours

“You will lose someone you can’t live without,and your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly—that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.”
― Anne Lamott












 3/11/13  My youngest continues to have some difficulty here and there about the odd family rift below and the loss of his father.  He had to come home from school on 2/26 he was so upset about it all.  Since the latest incident below, I noticed him playing a song over and over called "Don't you worry child" by Swedish Mafia.  This morning I downloaded the song (it's catchy and fun -- thought it would be a good running song).  I listened to the words for the first time and couldn't stop crying.  I now realize this has been a coping song for him.  I love you Zack - I'm listening and Chris and I are always here for you, buddy -- don't you worry my sweet child, heaven's got a plan for you.

 "Don't You Worry Child"

There was a time
I used to look into my father's eyes.
In a happy home
I was a king, I had a gold throne.
Those days are gone,
Now the memory's on the wall.
I hear the songs
From the places where I was born.

Upon the hill across the blue lake,
That's where I had my first heartbreak.
I still remember how it all changed.
My father said,
"Don't you worry, don't you worry, child.
See heaven's got a plan for you.
Don't you worry, don't you worry now."
Yeah!

Link to the song "Don't You worry child"
http://youtu.be/r1MN4pR5wXM

Remember sons - What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger:  http://youtu.be/CH_dWijufDo


Never be bullied into silence. 
Never allow yourself to be made a victim. 
Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
Harvey Fierstein

3/5/13   Further writings on the strange loss of the living:

Here is a rough draft letter from my mother (a concerned grand-parent) to one of Kevin's sisters.  My mother sent this letter to me [Cydney] to send (if I decided to).  I have yet to send it.  It is not necessary now.  But it is helpful and healing for me and may be for my children one day as well.  Since the boys may want to read this one day  I will save it here in this Blog for easy retrieval.  My mother's words are wise and loving and true.    I'm so blessed to have such a loving and wise mom.

Rough Draft Letter from Mom to Kevin's sister:

Dear _____.  I am 82 years old and during this whole experience, I have envisioned my job as a part of an agency/clan/family that operates within the larger system of laws. The members of this clan have expanded as Cyd and Michele grew to become adults.  The mission statement is to ensure the safety, health and spiritual happiness of all members and to accept new members if they wanted to participate.  First, Marshall was welcomed when he and Michele [my sister] were married.  When they divorced, we did not let him go.  I told his mom that he would always be a member of this family.  We just buried him at Arlington last week.  Then came Kevin and he was a very important member of our family and I have kept him there with stories and quilts.  The boys still honor him and hold him dearly in their hearts.  At Thanksgiving, we were gathered lighting candles to anyone we wanted to.  Austin lit one for his dad and Zack lit one for family.    I loved that Kevin  honored everything about his boys.  He honored their individuality. When Austin was being tested due to his hyper personality, I remember Kevin saying, "I don't want his personality changed, we love him just as he is."  I agreed and remember how, from the very first, Austin was a participant in life. When I was with him, I would tell him stories, silly stories, sometimes with a moral.  He would interrupt, something the kindergarten teacher didn't like, but I loved. Jumping up and down, he changed the name of the little boy who made a bad choice to say, "I know, let's call him Excruciating Delivious."  He named his bro Deluxe Delivious.   I think I was having more fun than Austin.  As he has grown, I notice that he has his Dad's hands.  I find it delightful that where Kevin used his hands in excelling in golf and other sports, while Austin is using his hands to excel on the guitar.  Kevin would be proud of both boys.  Zack's coach said, "Zack has good hands," so he probably inherited Kevin's hands, too.
The reason I am telling you this is I am sorry that your grief for Kevin has interfered with Austin's progress.  We didn't recognize it at first, but it has come to the surface.  It is easy to underestimate Austin's ability to take things in.  This is difficult to explain but going back to Kevin's death, someone said to Austin, "now you are the man of the house."  Poor little nine year old boy started trying to take care of everyone.  Cyd kept telling him that was her job.  She ensured that she would (and did) take care of him. But Austin started calling himself "Zack's interpreter" because Zack's grief caused him to stop talking.  The grief counselor told Cyd that since Austin was not able to grieve (due to his self imposed duties, I guess) that it would come later in life.  That may be what is happening now.  And in facing that he feels that guilt has been placed on him and an expectation that he still fill his dad's shoes, be like his dad."  He loved his dad, but he wants to be Austin.  He has gone through the stages of development until now he is ready to assert himself as an individual.  It was upsetting to Cyd that you have said things to him that carried messages of guilt, but she didn't know that Austin was taking it so hard until now.  He has always wanted to please more than most children.  It has been very painful for Cyd and the boys, and she has had to try to overcome a lot of things (including toxic people) that she thought were harmful to the boys.  She is the best advocate for her boys, and I think they  see that.  However, you made it plain at the funeral that you planned to cancel her out.  We thought it was just grief but when she married Chris, it was plain that you wanted a relationship with the boys but not her and Chris.  I don't know why.  Kevin would have liked Chris had they known each other.  And, as you know, Kevin loved Cyd with all his heart -- that was very evident to anyone that knew them as a couple. So your distancing from Kevin's children and wife puzzles us.  Chris has been a great father to the boys and a wonderful husband and friend to my dear daughter and Cyd has been a loving and devoted mother to Austin and Zack.

You do not want to be a member of our clan.  You may think it is bazaar but we added Sanja, Marshall's second wife from Croatia. We have not added his third wife because, like you,  she didn't want to be a member of our family.  The difference in family harmony is noticeable.   We have not added you because you set the tone at Kevin's funeral.  We thought it was temporary because I have found that death of a loved one brings out temporary weirdness in people sometimes.  Several things were said that hurt Cyd at a time when she needed support.  It was hard for her but I am proud of how she grew and only put Austin's and Zack's welfare above her own. Then she found Chris, a wonderful person who has kept Kevin's name and life in the conversation.  But he treats each boy as an individual with their own talents, never making them feel guilty for not being their dad.  The boys love him and think of him as their dad. 
I am sorry that it has worked out this way.  My experience  experience with loving Sanja shows me that it could have been so much better for the children, but it was your choice  I don't know why you have thought of Chris as a reason the boys would forget their father.  You have never expressed it, but it was there and it has hurt the boys, not Chris.








 How to deal with loss on top of loss  on top of loss
(Rough Draft)
by Cydney
2/26/2013 
Feeling quite sad today about strange things that have happened with close people in our lives that have become too toxic and unhealthy to be with.  The collection of quotes and memes below keep me grounded and help me remember what and who is important in our lives.  Kevin died in 2005.  A devistating loss for our entire family, to say the least.  But, little did we know that  A, Z, and I know that were going to be faced with more and more loss.  Not only loss from death of of loved ones but also from the loss of living loved ones.   

The most important thing is for me to be able to help A & Z through this destructive  and unusual circumstance that has been going on in our own family.  For years I've shielded and protected them from the sadness of this type of unnecessary loss - also called "emotional abandonment".  n the beginning (after Kevin's death and beyond) I continued to do my best to foster a good relationship with Kevin's family - especially for my children's sake.  They were the ones that could help keep Kevin's memory alive - tell stories and be there to support and love A & Z.  Then I remarried.  And from that point on I had to begin to shield and protect them from the sadness of this type of unnecessary loss - also called "emotional abandonment".  It happen slowly, at first.  Chris and I continued to welcome them to our home and I continued to invite ourselves to the sisters home.  The visits happened to begin with (not often - but some).  Then not at all (including communication).  I had to protect my boys from this pain.  They were wondering why all this was happening.  I tried to shield them from the truth.  I  would say things like "they are very busy" or "Grandma is too sick" but after years of this, A & Z were able to conclude things on their own.  Something had to give.  The pain needed to stop.  After all,  we all had enough to deal with and heal from after the loss of their father/my husband.  Now, not only had we suffered from the loss of death of loved ones but also from the loss of living loved ones.    This kind of loss of people still living  is a loss of a totally different kind.  If feels awful -- we felt and feel shunned and very hurt.  After all,  we all had enough to deal with and heal from after the loss of their father/my husband.    I know Kevin would be so disappointed by what has and has not transpired.  I know he would say there is no excuse for his own family members to abandon his children.  Sometimes I think -- sheesh, is it because of me?  Is it because I remarried?  Is it because we had some misunderstandings and a few disagreements after Kevin died?    But, even if it were something like that there would still be no excuse for not seeing for boys.  No excuse for taking there (possible) dislike of me out on our children.  So, even if I were some kind of bitch (which of course I'm not) it would still not justify their lack of presence in our lives.  Even if they disagreed with something I did or said -- I can still see no justification or excuse for not being in the boys lives.    For goodness sakes, most divorced families I know work to make thing amicable for the kids sake (?!).   We have all suffered deeply from the loss of Kevin.  It seems these family members act as if they are the only ones that have/are hurting over all of this.  Otherwise, things wouldn't be as they have been/are.  I remember one of Kevin's family members had the nerve to say to me "You've moved on, Cyd.  You have replaced Kevin with Chris.  The boys will have a new father and you will have another husband.  We can't have another brother."  This is a good example of someone who doesn't understand the grief of a widow and her children.   Kevin can't be replaced by someone else.  Any grievance counselor or any widow will tell you that no one replaces their lost love.  The hurt and loss from death of a spouse/parent continues for a lifetime.  However, it all depends on how you end up choosing to live the rest of your life. It depends on how much you let grief "take over".    So eventually I had to as myself:  Do you want to live in the land of the living and happy? Or do you want to live in dispare and continuous grief?  I chose the former for my children and myself.  It made a lot  sense for me to choose to eventually move forward and do my best to be a happy and a loving person for the sake of my boys and for myself and for my new family.

  In a nutshell, in such a case as this, you just don't abandon your family -- especially young boys who have lost their father.  Who knows what it was all about BUT no matter what reason they have it just can't never justify their absence and unkindness. It's all very strange.  I may never understand it nor will my children. Chris and I were just talking yesterday about how sad it is that these family members and (once close) friends have missed out on so much of A & Z's lives.  So much has happened in their lives - they are such great kids... so smart, handsome and mannerisms just like Kevin.  They have missed most of their growing up in the last 5 years.  And Chris and I (at the same time) are heartbroken to have missed out on my niece, Grandma and our estranged friends children's lives because of this unnecessary rift between our families.  Heartbroken and confused.  But, we will perservere;  we will move forward in love and happiness yet again.

So in addition to A, Z and I  losing father/my husband, we also lost of family and friends still living - strangely enough, these happen to only be some members of Kevin's family and a few of his friends.  Blood relatives of the boys (?)  WTF?   For whatever reason they started distancing themselves (it all began in 2007 after I remarried).  Things were fine before that.  Everyone was kind and nurturing to one another  --- just as they were before Kevin died.  Then, poof!  Gone.  This is the kind of  loss I never would have dreamed of in a million years.  Very odd indeed.  This was the type of loss I would have never expected nor would I ever want for the boys.  As I noticed this happening, I tried desperately to not let happen.  For instance, I pleaded with our long time friends to remain "just aquaintences" for our kids sake.  Anyhow, years went by and things just got worse.  I would call and call and try to get together with Kevin's family.  Little by little we saw less and less of them and heard less and less from them.  As Chris said "why are you the one always calling, Cyd?"  and "why are you the one always trying to make arrangements to get together with them?"  My entire family told me they were acting strange and to just give up.  They actually told me they felt their odd behavior was not healthy for A & Z.  But, I didn't listen.   I didn't want to give up for the boys sake.   But, the door was shut and was made next to impossible to open. I became very sad and then angry about it all.  I knew they would never behave this way if there brother was alive.  Anyhow, Chris and I continued to leave the door open and continued to try throughout all these years by inviting ourselves to visit (often cancelled by them at the last minute) and inviting them here and  offering for them to stay was us for any occassion.  Sometimes they said they couldn't get together because grandma was sick another time because my niece was not there (?)  I ask myself over and over, would they have cancelled this many times or not seen us (for two years now) if Kevin was alive? The answer is 100% "NO".  Because when Kevin was alive we visited no matter what the circumstance (Grandma in hosptial, someone else sick, etc.  Fact is that it used to not matter.  They seem to only consider us family when Kevin was alive.

 A couple years ago I  wrote a letter expressing that I could not understand why they were doing this and asked what was going on (?)  I pretty much got a "guilt trip" type letter back.   I communicated this to one sister (b) (who is less toxic) and said that I could not be around sister (a) for a while because she was exhibiting an unhealthy attitude towards me.  It was upsetting and depressing me.  But, I said, I feel it is very important that the boys continue to see you all.  This incident of being honest seem to be what entirely shut the door because we haven't seen sister (a) for 2 years and have only seen sister (b) once.  I drove all the way to VA beach so that the boys could have an hour lunch with sister b!  This was becoming too much and too weird.

 I kept trying to open the door; and then I too (about a year ago) gave up calling and communicating as much.   Anyhow, all in all, too much time went by through the all of these years (starting in 2007).  And, as I said, we didn't see one particular family member for 2 years.   It was damaging to me and my children.  The boys were confused and sad.   I wondered, how could they feel close to their Aunts and other family members of Kevin's if they never saw them?  Anyhow, I kept hoping things would change and that Kevin's family would have a change of heart and re-enter our lives.  I didn't want to have to have a "'discussion" about this painful situation with A & Z.  I did not want them to feel unwanted or experience the pain of loss, yet again.  But, you know what, I didn't have to.  The sisters (a & b) expressed everything by their absence.  And one sister (a) in particular sent "guilt trip" text and FB messages mainly Austin on several occasions.  Sadly, the sisters brought this on themselves - but of course would never realize or admit to themselves that they had anything to do with it.  Gotta save face.  It's natural for most people to do this.  It must be terribly painful for them to admit that they abandoned their nephews.

But A & Z are smart boys and over the years they have figured things out about this scenario on their own (by experiencing the above).  Anyhow, sadly, it has all come to a head in the past few days and a total realization of the above (especially for A).   Now they are again sad and angry over loss --  this time a loss of the living -  Kevin's family.  Just today, Zack called me from school.  He had been crying about the above loss in several classes.  One teacher sent him to the school counselor.  Then Z  called home crying.   This scenario is so not good for my boys.  So, I've come to the awful realization that (because of Kevin's families odd behavior) the boys, particulary because they are currently in a fragile state of mind,  should not have any communication with Kev's family.  How sad is that?  Too sad for me to bare today.  I probably should have made this break from them long ago (when my family was telling me I should).  I kept thinking that Kevin would want me to maintain contact with them (of course I would because that how it should be -- under "normal" circumstances).  But, part of me knew that my family was right,  they are nothing like Kevin.  They have not acted as he would have wanted or acted were he in this situation.  Kevin was a devoted and loving father -- his family was everything to him, his sisters, mother, nieces were always number one.  Family came first -- that was his motto.   As he would often say to Austin and Zack,  "I've got your back buddy" --- he would never leave us (except in death).  He would be perplexed and very saddened by all of the above.

As you can tell,  I have pondered and reflected on this quite a bit. I've prayed many times through the years about all of this.  I  I've come to the realization that Kevin would not want them to be exposed to such manipulation and alienation - even with his family.  His number one concern would be his boys and their mental health.  Anyhow, It's all been so heartbreaking.  Kevin's mother is still alive and is an innocent in all of this.  So is my dear niece.  Such a sad loss for us and so uncalled for.

Well, this week my prayers were answered with a big exclamation point.  Like a smack on the head really.  I think they had been answered many times but I just wasn't listening.  So sorry God.   Prayers aren't always answered as you wish though.  So I finally get it -- the answered prayer is to walk away, trudge forward and to pray for love for all concerned  and pray for healing for all concerned.  That is all we can do about this weird situation for now.  Previously, I left the door wide open and it was shut in my face over and over.  I keep hearing the words "emotional alienation" - that's what a psychologist called it .  It's a passive aggressive form of abuse the boys and I have been subjected to.  We definitely don't need that in our lives.

So with a peaceful and loving heart I say this to anyone facing anything like the above just remember what I've had to learn the hard way.  I've learned that sometimes it is better to "let go and let God."   So, be true to yourself, defend your children against any type of family alienation and abandonment, steer clear of those make you feel guilty and tell untruths; and beware of those  who expose themselves as hypocrites.  Instead surround yourself with healthy minded and loving people that value you and love you as you are.  Instead choose peace and love.  For peace and  for in the world,  choose love. :)

Above all know that:  
"God knows who belongs in your life and who doesn't, trust and let go.  
Whoever is meant to be there will still be there."

Be grateful for  life lesson that are placed in your path.  It's easy to get in a self pity mode and say "why me".  It's very easy to give oneself a "victim" label.  Don't go there, if you can help it or you may remain stuck as a "victim".    I have learned a great deal from all of the above.  I've learned who to trust and who not to trust.  I've learned who you can count on.  I've learned to be stronger for my children and myself.  I've learned to love myself enough to walk away from unhealthy situations.  I know my children and I are stronger, more compassionate and more loving as a result of having the above life lesson.

Here are a collection of memes that have helped me "deal" over the years with unhealthy and/or toxic people.  Hopefully, A & Z can embrace, understand and more forward from the loss of this  "living" family.    I love you A & Z.  We are tough,  we've been through so much together and we can get through this together as well, my sweet boys.









 Letter from Chris to Kevin below:

October 3, 2012


Dear Kevin,

Because of your 40th high school reunion, I thought I would honor you by talking about our boys, Austin and Zack.  When I first met them they were 7 and 11, and they became my good luck boys. 

I know you would be so proud of them if you could see them now,.  Austin has grown up to be a mature young man with so many talents.  He is very intelligent and is so much more aware of the world than I was at almost 17.  He is doing great in school and is heavily involved in volunteer activities.  What has been quite astounding is his musical abilities.  He plays an excellent guitar, has taken up piano (just like you did), writes and records his own music and performs on a regular basis around the area with his band. 

Zack is now 13 and is coming of age.  He is also really smart and has a great sense of humor.  Not sure how he does it, but he seems to be a girl magnet without much effort.  Whatever he puts his mind to, he shows an intrinsic talent.  He has only been playing football for a short time but he is starting as a cornerback for his middle school team.

It has been an honor to take care of our boys these last 5 years.  Your genes and my epigenetics have been a great combination.  The boys have a bright future.  I have tried to do the things with the boys that you might have done.  Mainly, I taught them how to be men.  There are so many things that I would like to tell you about that we have taught them from how to build your own skate park ramp, picking out your first tuxedo, how to respect women and yourself, throw a football, snorkel, sail, make your bed.  I am sorry you missed out on that.  But know that our boys are well taken care of and I love them like I love my own kids, because they are.  They are happy, healthy and thriving.

In parting, I’ve attached a letter I wrote to your mother and sisters about 2 weeks after I proposed to Cyd reassuring them of my commitment to be a good father and husband. 

We keep your memory alive, we tell Kevin stories, and we keep pictures up in the hallway so the boys don’t forget you.

Chris



................................................................................................
 Sweet letter to the sisters and Kevin's mom from Chris before we married:
March 9, 2007

Dear [addressed to Kevin's mom and sisters],

Cydney and I have known each other since June of last year.  I can’t even begin to express how much Cyd means to me and how much I love her.  We have both suffered by losing our spouses.  The important thing is that in this period of grief and recovery we found each other and I am grateful for that.  Cyd is a wonderful woman with so much going for her.  She has the biggest heart of anybody I know.  She is open-minded, fun, funny, intelligent, young-at-heart, not to mention beautiful.  She is a great mother.  We see eye-to-eye on almost everything.  I can’t think of anything better than to spend the rest of my life with her.  Therefore, I asked her to marry me and happily, she accepted.

I want to reassure you that I am deeply committed and looking forward to helping Cyd raise Austin and Zack.  I have really enjoyed getting to know the boys.  Having raised Lara, Marissa and Flynn, I come with a great deal of experience in knowing what the boys will need to prepare them for the future.  All of us have had a lot of fun getting together and eating, playing “Man Hunt” or just messing around.  Cyd and I anticipate that there will be a few hurtles to managing a blended family, but I know that we have the right chemistry to make this work.  My kids love the boys and the boys look up to my kids.  Cyd and I love all of them as if they were all ours.

I will not let the boys forget Kevin and his family.  I firmly believe that you cannot forget where you came from nor lose sight of where you are going.  Cyd has told me quite a bit about Kevin.  I think that if I met Kevin today, we would be friends as we have a number of important things in common: a strong commitment to family, a strong work ethic, enjoyment of activities outside of work including sports.  I am looking forward to being an appropriate father-figure to the boys, and to being their mentor and advisor to help them develop into responsible, open-minded, independent adults who will leave the world a better place.

I am looking forward to getting to know you better. 

Sincerely,       
 Chris







3/11/13 (a letter to one of Kevin's sisters written by my mother.  One day the boys may want to see the wise and loving words by Omie).  And many of the  Memes fits perfectly with our sentiments about this hurtful situation.  Writing, support from family and memes have help my children and me deal with this unusual circumstance.

Dear  XXX,


 I am 82 years old and during this whole experience, I have envisioned my job as a part of an agency/clan/family that operates within the larger system of laws. The members of this clan have expanded as Cyd and Michele grew to become adults.  The mission statement is to ensure the safety, health and spiritual happiness of all members and to accept new members if they wanted to participate.  First, Marshall was welcomed when he and Michele were married.  When they divorced, we did not let him go.  I told his mom that he would always be a member of this family.  We just buried him at Arlington last week.  Then came Kevin and he was a very important member of our family and I have kept him there with stories and quilts.  The boys still honor him.  At Thanksgiving, we were gathered lighting candles to anyone we wanted to.  Austin lit one for his dad and Zack lit one for family.    I loved that Kevin  honored everything about his boys.  He honored their individuality. When Austin was being tested due to his hyper personality, I remember Kevin saying, "I don;t want his personality changed, We love him just as he is."  I agreed and remember how, from the very first, Austin was a participant in life. When I was with him, I would tell him stories, silly stories, sometimes with a moral.  He would interrupt, something the kindergarten teacher didn't like, but I loved. Jumping up and down, he changed the name of the little boy who made a bad choice to say, "I know, let's call him Excruciating Delivious."  He named his bro Deluxe Delivious.   I think I was having more fun than Austin.  As he has grown, I notice that he has his Dad's hands.  I find it delightful that where Kevin used his hands in excelling in golf and other sports, while Austin is using his hands to excel on the guitar.  Kevin would be proud of both boys.  Zack's coach said, "Zack has good hands," so he probably inherited Kevin's hands, too.
The reason I am telling you this is I am sorry that your grief for Kevin has interfered with Austin's progress.  We didn't recognize it at first, but it has come to the surface.  It is easy to underestimate Austin's ability to take things in.  This is difficult to explain but going back to Kevin's death, someone said to Austin, "now you are the man of the house."  Poor little nine year old boy started trying to take care of everyone.  Cyd kept telling him that was her job. but Austin started calling himself "Zack's interpreter" because Zack's grief caused him to stop talking.  The grief counselor told Cyd that since Austin was not able to grieve (due to his self imposed duties, I guess) that it would come later in life.  That may be what is happening now.  And in facing that he feels that guilt has been placed on him and an expectation that he still fill his dad's shoes, be like his dad."  He loved his dad but he wants to be Austin.  He has gone through the stages of development until now he is ready to assert himself as an individual.  It was upsetting to Cyd that you have said things to him that carried messages of guilt, but she didn't know that Austin was taking it that way until now.  He wanted to please more than most children.  It has been very painful for Cyd and the boys, and she has had to try to overcome a lot of things that she thought were harmful to the boys.  She  is the best advocate for her boys, and I think they  see that.  However, you made it plain at the funeral that you planned to cancel her out.  We thought it was just grief but when she married Chris, it was plain that you wanted a relationship with the boys but not her and Chris.  I don't know why.  Kevin would have liked Chris had they known each other.  He has been a great father to the boys. 
You do not want to be a member of our clan.  You may think it is bazaar but we added Sanja, Marshall's second wife from Croatia. We have not added his third wife because, like you,  she didn't want to be a member of our family.  The difference in family harmony is noticeable.   We have not added you because you set the tone at Kevin's funeral.  We thought it was temporary because I have found that death of a loved one brings out temporary weirdness in people sometimes.  Several things were said that hurt Cyd at a time when she needed support.  It was hard for her but I am proud of how she grew and only put Austin's and Zack's welfare above her own. Then she found Chris, a wonderful person who has kept Kevin's name and life in the conversation.  But he treats each boy as an individual with their own talents, never making them feel guilty for not being their dad.  The boys love him and think of him as their dad. 
I am sorry that it has worked out this way.  My experience  experience with loving Sanja shows me that it could have been so much better for the children, but it was your choice  I don't know why you have thought of Chris as a reason the boys would forget their father.  You have never expressed it, but it was there and it has hurt the boys, not Chris. 
**********************************************************************





































2/11/13  I missed this 1st Super Soul Sunday show with Nate.  I need to find it; I heard it was great. 
Nate Berkus reflects on losing the love of his life in the 2004 tsunami and how that experience transformed him forever. "We all handle loss differently…from tragedy to a loved one suffering. The tsunami was Nate's turning point…what was yours?"
I think we all need a reminder of this every day.


 

2/4/13

Thinking of 3 very dear people today.  Kevin (my dear husband), Linda (life long friend) and Marshall (brother-in-law). We miss you.   You were way too young to die. 

Anyhow,  I had a happy dream about these three dears last night.  In this dream we were sitting on a blanket in a beautiful sun-filled garden.  Flowers surrounded us (I could even smell them)  and the grass was bright green and as soft as a carpet.  The rest of the dream is fuzzy; but we were all laughing.  Laughing a lot :D   One thing is for certain, these three all had a great sense of humor.  I was always laughing at their jokes or general silliness.  I think that this is one of the things I miss most about all 3 of them.  All the laughter all the love.   In a way, I think they  (in this dream) were emphasizing this - love and laughter!  Keep it going!  It was as if they were saying "Keep laughing Cydney and keep enjoying life.  Don't be sad because we are gone, be happy  because we are always in your mind and heart and we will all see you again .... and when we do, we will sit in a beautiful garden and tell jokes and laugh until the cows come home."   I woke up smiling

 Yes, "Life is short, Time is fast, No replay, No rewind, So enjoy every moment as it comes."



A poem in loving memory of Kevin, Linda and Marshall:

When I am gone, release me, let me go,
I have so many things to say and do.
You mustn’t tie yourself to me with tears,
be happy that we had these years.
I give you my love.
You can only guess
How much you gave me in happiness.
I thank you for the love you have shown,
But now it’s time I travel on alone.

So grieve a while, if grieve you must
Then let your grief be comforted by trust.
It’s only for a while that we must part
So bless the memories within your heart.

I won’t be far away,
For life goes on.
So if you need me, call and I will come.
Though you can’t see or touch me, I’ll be near,
And if you listen with your heart you’ll hear,
All my love around you soft and clear.

And then, when you must come this way alone,
I’ll greet you with a smile and “Welcome Home.”




1/17/13
My widow friend posted this today.  It is spot on, beautifully written and informative.

If you are grieving or know someone who is, this is so helpful.   Read this.
 
What Grieving People Want You To Know

Through my work and the privilege of listening to so many stories, I have come to wonder where people get their ideas about how another person is supposed to grieve.

Here's a test for you:


1.  How long does it take to recover after someone you love has died?

2.  When should a person begin to "get on with their lives?"

3.  Do you think it's better to mention the deceased's name to the grieving person or to avoid mentioning the name so that you won't make that person cry?

4.  Do you think it's a good idea to tell a grieving person how strong they are?

You can figure out the answers to these questions by understanding what grieving people want you to know about them.

1.  I am not strong. I'm just numb. When you tell me I am strong, I feel that you don't see me

2.  I will not recover. This is not a cold or the flu. I'm not sick. I'm grieving and that's different. I will not always be grieving as intensely, but I will never forget my loved one and rather than recover, I want to incorporate his life and love into the rest of my life. That person is part of me and always will be, and sometimes I will remember him with joy and other times with a tear. Both are okay.
 
3.  I don't have to accept the death. Yes, I have to understand that it has happened and it is real, but there are just some things in life that are not acceptable.


4.  Please don't avoid me. You can't catch my grief. My world is painful, and when you are too afraid to call me or visit or say anything, you isolate me at a time when I most need to be cared about. If you don't know what to say, just come over, give me a hug or touch my arm, and gently say, "I'm sorry." You can even say, "I just don't know what to say, but I care, and want you to know that."


5.  Please don't say, "Call me if you need anything." I'll never call you because I have no idea what I need. Trying to figure out what you could do for me takes more energy than I have. So, in advance, let me give you some ideas:

(a)  Bring food.
(b) Offer to take my children to a movie or game so that I have some moments to myself.
(c) Send me a card on special holidays, birthdays (mine, his or hers), or the anniversary of the death, and be sure and mention her name. You can't make me cry. The tears are here and I will love you for giving me the opportunity to shed them because someone cared enough about me to reach out on this difficult day.
(d) Ask me more than once to join you at a movie or lunch or dinner. I may say “no” at first or even for a while, but please don't give up on me because somewhere down the line, I may be ready, and if you've given up, then I really will be alone.

6.  Try to understand that this is like I'm in a foreign country where I don't speak the language and have no map to tell me what to do. Even if there were a map, I'm not sure right now I could understand what it was saying. I'm lost and in a fog. I'm confused.


7.  When you tell me what I should be doing, then I feel even more lost and alone. I feel bad enough that my loved one is dead, so please don’t make it worse by telling me I’m not doing this right.


8.  Please don't call to complain about your husband, your wife, or your children. Right now, I'd be delighted to have my loved one here no matter what they were doing.


9.  Please don't tell me I can have other children or need to start dating again. I'm not ready. And maybe I don't want to. And besides, what makes you think people are replaceable? They aren't. Whoever comes after, will always be someone different.

 
10.  I don't even understand what you mean when you say, "You've got to get on with your life." My life is going on, but it may not look the way you think it should. This will take time and I never will be my old self again. So please, just love me as I am today, and know, that with your love and support, the joy will slowly return to my life. But I will never forget and there will always be times that I cry.
©Virginia A. Simpson, Ph., CT, 2000
 
I relate to some of Virginia's sentiments as well.  Similar feelings but at the same time different.  At one point my life (about a year after Kevin died) things started to change for the better.  I put one foot in front of the other, so to speak -- In other words, I started to move (or trudge) forward.  Most of those family and friends were encouring, supportive and happy for me.  I was on the path to healing and happiness again -- I was beginning to heal.  Sadly though, some friends and family seemed frightened or disturbed by this "moving forward" thing.  I did not understand it at the time and at times I still don't.  But, I know now this was the only way they new how to handle things.  They were in their own form of grief and this was the only way they knew how to deal with me "moving forward".   You know what I've learned along this devistating and strange path of losing a loved one?  I've learned that everyone has a unique story.  I've learned that there is no right or wrong way to grieve.  I've learned that there are no rules to follow.  I've learned that you never "get over" losing a loved one.  I've learned that everyone has their own journey and everyone's individual journey should be respected and never judged.   My choice along this journey was to love life and feel happy once again.   And, one amazing day I met Chris.  I was overjoyed that I had found such a wonderful man and the feeling was mutual.   I knew Kevin would be happy about this.  I also knew I should not feel guilty about loving again.  But a few others could not understand and did not feel the same about my new love.
So my #10 would read more like:   I don't even understand what you mean when you say "how could you have gotten on with your life? (in other words, to move forward is a dishonor and disrepectful  to the spouse who has died)."  Yes,  believe it or not,  this type scenario happens as well.   It was heartbreaking to find that a few family friends could actually be unsupportive, and unkind during this happy but also very sensitive and emotional time/change in our lives.  My children suffered from this unkindness (or shunning) as well.  Suddenly (when I decided to re-marry) these people were not in our lives anymore.  Very sad, but that's life.  A difficult life lesson I learned a lot from.  I learned to forgive more (myself and others), love more (unconditionally), and still laugh more (regardless of the action or inaction of others).  I also learned to protect my children from the harmfulness of people who judge in this way.   For our own happiness and peace of mind we had to learn to let it go of the hurt and let them go.  It's all better now that we have learned to embrace this idea of "letting go", but we will never understand it.  For some reason things were meant to turn out this way (that's how I look at it) :)  Again, you have to smile and "move forward".  Chapters end and new ones begin.
Yes,  "My life is going on, and  it may not look the way you think it should. My new life without my loved one as taken time and I never will be my old self again. So please,  just love me (and my children) as I am today (as we are today), and know, that with your love and support, the joy will slowly return to my life.  But I will never forget and there will always be times that I cry." 
 I will never forget the loving words Kevin spoke to me a week before he died.  He said, "I love you and the boys so much and want you to be happy.  You are young, Cyd.  I want you to find someone who loves you as much as I do.  I want you to find someone who will love you and take care of the boys.  I want you to be happy."   That was the most beautiful, selfless and loving gift my husband left me.  I am forever grateful for Kevin and forever grateful for these last loving words.  I love you Kevin in Heaven.
 So eventually a new chapter began in our lives, a life with my dear Chris and our five children,  similar but different.  A life again filled with love, laughter, struggles and tears.   Again, a life of miracles and blessings.  















 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment